News & Events
History and About Us
The Melbourne Fiji Rugby Club was formed in the 1980’s. This initiative was brought about following friendly but competitive rugby and netball competitions between Fijian communities living in Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland.
This has become an annual event and one of the main highlights of the Fiji Independence Day celebrations in Melbourne in October.
The Club now consists of registered Victorian rugby club players and supporters from the Fijian and wider community.
The Club was incorporated in 2009 as a non-profit organisation, under the Victoria Associations Act.
The Melbourne Fiji Rugby Club has served as a platform for our youth to establish a prospective career in rugby union. We list below former and current members who have moved on to become internationally recognised players:
- Saimoni Rokini: 1996-1998 – Fiji Sevens Team
- Samu Saumaisue: 1996-1999 – Fiji Sevens & Fifteen Rugby Teams
- Nacanieli Seru: Fiji 15’s in the Sydney World Cup
- Jo Saumaisue: 1996-1999 – Fiji Sevens & Fifteen Rugby Squad
- Netani Qicatabua: 2012 – Fiji Under 20’s Rugby Team
- Tomasi & Sione Paolo: Fiji Under 20’s & currently in the Uprising Rebels Team
- Dan Yakapo: Currently in the Australian Sevens Rugby Team
- Wise Nayacalevu: 2012 - Fiji Sevens & Fifteen Rugby Teams
Mission & Strategy
To promote unity and foster partnerships and collaborations within the Fijian communities and the wider diverse Australian communities.
Mission & Statement of Purpose:
- To provide youth, as one of the world’s most precious resources, with a platform to help produce their highest potentials and celebrate their achievements in and through sports.
- To use rugby as a vehicle to reach all ages in the the Victorian Fijian community, working together for a common goal.
- To show an opportunity on how rugby can enhance unity and relationships in the Fijian community in Victoria.
- To create a context in which leaders in the Fijian community can agree to work together to facilitate youth involvement in sport.
- To continue to facilitate and provide the appropriate resources to improve the standard and level of rugby in Victoria.
- To strengthen partnerships with other Victorian rugby clubs and sporting organisations, including supporting Fiji contracted players in Australian rugby union clubs.
- To be a club where junior and senior rugby players have great communication and mutually support one another.
- Create a Club atmosphere of FUN and development.
- Be competitive in all grades (top half of the competition)
- To be a financially viable club.